Youth Tour Experience
What is Youth Tour?
It’s not just another trip to Washington, D.C.! Youth Tour is an annual contest sponsored by Ohio's Electric Cooperatives and your local electric cooperative. The program gives deserving high school sophomores and juniors the opportunity to use their knowledge to compete for a FREE, weeklong trip to the nation's capital in June. The 2018 Youth Tour is scheduled for June 8-14.
Electric cooperatives all over the country hold Youth Tour competitions. If chosen, you’ll travel to Washington, D.C. in June with around 40 other students from Ohio. During the trip, you will meet up with nearly 1,600 other students in Washington, D.C., in June. Once there, you will have the chance to meet and talk to congressional leaders from Ohio at the U.S. Capitol, plus visit all of the sights in and around the city. Click here for additional information about Youth Tour, or visit www.electric.coop.
What are the entry requirements?
Applicants must be a current high school sophomore or junior, and their parents or legal guardian must be members of Firelands Electric Cooperative. Selected students should be energetic and eager to make the most out of this fun opportunity to learn. Candidates are evaluated on their knowledge of rural electric cooperatives, school and community activities, and demonstrated leadership. All application materials are available for download below. The deadline to apply is February 1, 2018 (applications are now closed).
2018 Youth Tour materials
- 2018 Youth Tour Qualifications & Procedures [2018 applications are now closed. Check back in Nov. for information on the 2019 tour.]
- 2018 Youth Tour Application [2018 applications are now closed. Check back in Nov. for the 2019 application.]
- 2018 Youth Tour Brochure [PDF]
- Additional Information About Youth Tour [PDF]
- "The Cooperative Difference" (November 2015 edition) [PDF]
- Cooperative Knowledge Online Orientation [Website]